Alaska Wild Sole is prized as a healthy lean whitefish for its delicate, mild flavor and tender texture. There are several species of flatfish, commonly called flounder.
Alaska Wild Sole is known for its value and quality. It is perfect for a variety of dishes and plate presentations. Alaska Wild Sole is very versatile and suitable for all types of cooking methods and applications. As a low-calorie fish it is a great healthy choice.
The average size of a whole fish is 1 to 5 pounds. Alaska Wild Sole is harvested from Alaska’s Bering Sea, the Gulf of Alaska, and Southeast Alaska.
YELLOW-FIN SOLE - Pleuronectes asper
- Fillet Size: Smallest in size; average 1-3 oz.
- Mild, quite sweet
- Soft, fine flake
FLATHEAD SOLE - Hippoglossoides elassodon
- Fillet Size: Thin fillets; average 2-6 oz.
- Flavor: Mild
- Color: Pearly-white, translucent
- Texture: Thin, delicate flake
- Shape: Thin, akin to Atlantic “Dab”
ROCK SOLE - Pleuronectes bilineatus
- Fillet Size: Fillets average 2-7 oz.
- Flavor: Sweet, slightly rich
- Color: Pearly-white, opaque
- Texture: Firm, succulent
- Shape: Meaty, resembling traditional “Flounder”
REX SOLE - Errex zachirus
- Fillet Size: Slender fillets; average 3-8 oz.
- Flavor: Highly valued, sweet
- Color: Snow-white
- Texture: Delicate, fine
- Shape: Long, slender like Atlantic “Gray Sole”
DOVER SOLE - Microstomus pacificus
- Fillet Size: Largest of 5; fillets average 3-5 oz.
- Flavor: Mild, delicate
- Color: Light, cream-colored
- Texture: Moist, flaky
- Shape: Elongated
Other Alaska Wild Sole Species
- Arrowtooth Flounder – Artheresthes stomias
- Alaska Plaice – Pleuronectes quadrituberculatus
|Serving Size 3.5 oz.||Calories||Protein (g)||Fat (g)||Saturated Fat (g)||Sodium (mg)||Cholesterol (mg)|
|DOVER SOLE||Largest of 5; fillets average 3-5 oz.||Mild,delicate||Light, cream-colored||Moist, flaky||Elongated|
|REX SOLE||Slender fillets; average 3-8 oz.||Highly valued,sweet||Snow-white||Delicate, fine||Long, slender like Atlantic “Gray Sole”|
|ROCK SOLE||Fillets average 2-7 oz.||Sweet, slightly rich||Pearly-white, opaque||Firm,succulent||Meaty, resembling traditional “Flounder”|
|FLATHEAD SOLE||Thin fillets; average 2-6 oz.||Neutral,mild||Pearly-white, translucent||Thin, dry delicate flake||Thin, akin to Atlantic “Dab”|
|YELLOW-FIN SOLE||Smallest in size; average1-3 oz.||Mild, quite sweet||Cream-colored||Soft, fineflake||Thin|